Fitness and Relax
Congress Tourism
Photo Gallery
Price list
Location and Transport
Hotel Smokovec

Starý Smokovec 25
062 01 Vysoké Tatry

Booking :

Phone : +421-52-4425191
Fax: +421-52-4425194


Belianska Cave

Belianska Cave (entrance at 885 m above the sea) is the only cave open to public in the High Tatras. It is situated under the eastern end of the Belianske Tatras, in the northern slope of Kobylí vrch (Kobylí Hill). A good starting point for visiting the cave is a settlement Tatranská kotlina (Tatranská Basin).
Myths that it was inhabited by prehistoric people are not documented. In the 18-th century it was visited mostly by treasury searchers who at the same time were the authors of its wall paintings. It became interesting for the scientists after the visit of Július Husz and John Britz on August 5, 1881.
It was open to public in 1882. It was one of the first caves with electric lights in the world (1896). The internal area was enlarged through excursions that followed.
The final length of the cave is 1752 m, from which 1001 m are open to public.

Dobšinská Ice Cave

This state-protected national monument is one of the scarcest and most remarkable natural phenomenons in Slovakia. It was discovered by a mining engineer E. Ruffinyi and his fellows on July 15, 1870. Already in 1871 it was open to public. In 1887 it was the first cave in Europe with electric lighting.
The entrance into the cave is situated in the northern slope of the Duča hill at the height of 969,5 m. The length of the cave reaches 1232 m. Going from the entrance aperture the rooms of the cave successively descend which together with the cave´s orientation to the north allows the cold air in winter to fall down and thus to cool off the inside rooms. In summer, on the other hand, the warmer air (is lighter) cannot get into the cave, and therefore the average temperature inside stays bellow 0°C the whole year.
The rooms of the cave iced up by repeating this cycle for many centuries. The rich decoration contains monuments mainly designed by the air-flow. The whole ice capacity is estimated to approximately 110 000 m3.


The chalet Pod Rysmi is the highest situated chalet in the High Tatras. The Austrian mountaineer Ubald Felbinger as the first one came up with the idea to build up the shelter in this location in the end of the 19th. centrury. Its construction was put off for many years because of the technical and the financial problems, whereby the ideas of its location differed as well (the proposed places were for example Zabie lakes, Váhy ridge etc.).
The construction of the chalet, was done in bad climatic conditions during period 1931-1932, by private building company Sasinka and financed by the Czechoslovak tourist club. The opening ceremony was in 1933.
During the World War II the chalet was occupied very sporadicly mostly by the fascists refugees.

After the avalanche damage in 1954 they started the first reconstruction and in 1977 the first floor was built up.


Téryho chalet was built by the Hungarian Carpathian union thanks to Edmund Téry (1856 - 1917) a doctor from Banská Štiavnica and a mountain pioneer, who played a very important role in developing tourism in the High Tatras. Till 1933 it was the highest situated chalet in Hungaria.


The chalet was built in 1943 by a native from Levoca, the well-known tatras´ mountaineer and the renter of Teryho chalet Stefan Zamkovsky (1908 - 1961). After the nationalization in 1951 it was renamed on Captain´s Nálepka chalet, but in 1993 it was returned to the former owners and it has had its original name since. .


The chalet was built in 1934 and its original name was Guhr´s chalet. In 1936 the chalet was rebuilt and after the World War II there was a new tourist hostel annexed. From 1946 it is called after Paul Bilík (1916 - 1944) the innspector of the financial guard in Horný Smokovec, the participant of Slovak National Uprising, executed by fascists in Kežmarok


The chalet is situated on the place where the first shelters and chalets were built thanks to the initiative of the Hugarian - Carpathian union. The first one Majláth´s chalet was named after the vice-president of the union and the member of Liptov county council Vojtech Majláth.
It burnt down in 1880 and it was replaced afterwards by a new stone chalet consisting of three rooms in the years 1881-1890. After the fire destroyed this one in 1892 Frantisek Mariássy built up a new chalet, but the new owner of the valley prince Hohenlohe let the chalet demolished in 1897 to restrict the tourist rush. In 1899 under the public pressure he built a new chalet with a big capacity there, which was opened to public till 1961 after many reconstructions.

In 1951 the chalet was renamed on the Captain´s Moravka chalet, in honour to Stefan Moravka, the commander of the financial guard at Štrbské Pleso, who died in revolt as a member of the partisan troop Vysoké Tatry Grúnik.

During the years 1958 1961 a new mountain hotel with a restaurant and a bar was built in the same locality, but it did not satisfy climbers and tourists at all and that´s why it was rebuilt again on the chalet, as we know it today.


Zakopane is one of the best-known tourist towns in Poland. Zakopane, which was "discovered" as a tourist attraction in the second half of the XIX century, is not coming out of fashion, but on the contrary, every year it attracts more and more tourists, who are so happy with their stay at the foot of the Tatra Mountains that they hope to come back here. Zakopane owes its popularity to various facilities it offers its visitors. In winter - there are numerous ski lifts and perfect weather conditions for skiing for both experienced skiers and beginners. In summer - there are difficult rock climbs on precipitous trails in the Wysokie (High) Tatras as well as easy ones available for everyone, which lead along the picturesque valleys and the ridges of the hills surrounding Zakopane. Visitors are attracted to the town's unique atmosphere, which combines two factors: the authentic folk culture of the highlanders of the Podhale region and the very sophisticated repertoire of the "Witkacy" Theatre and Szymanowski's music. They are also attracted to what "lies between" these two factors - the charm of the cafes, jazz and rock concerts in the cellars, a glance at the mountains, lazy colourful crowd in Krupówki Street.

Spiš Castle

On a dolomite rock 200 m above the surrounding land, at the elevation of 634 m, there is one of the most precious cultural monuments in the Spiš region that reigns over the Spiš basin - the Spiš Castle. It is not just an evidence of architectural development from the 12-th to the 18-th century. With its area of 41 426 m2 it is at the same time one of the largest castles in the Central Europe.
Its history is very rich, too. The rock the castle stands on was inhabited already 40 000 years ago. A huge hill-fort of Púchovská culture was built in this area during the Christ era. Archaeologists only recently uncovered houses of ancient farmers and craftsmen and a big cult object. From the greatness and the organisation structure of the hill-fort we might infer that already at that time it had been an administrative centre of the Spiš region. Bulwarks surrounding the whole castle and crossing its biggest courtyard are visible even today. After the fort was demolished, another strong hill-fort was founded on a neighbouring hill Dreveník. Only then the Spiš Castle was built up.


Tvorba web stránok
Hotel Smokovec Slovensky English Deutsch Magyarul